Microsoft’s Security Intelligence Report states that over 90% of targeted vulnerabilities affected applications. The remaining 10% of flaws were found in operating systems.

Needless to say, Microsoft leads in the “affected OS top”, as its Windows operating system is found on nearly 90% of computers worldwide.

The most popular forms of malware nowadays are trojan downloaders and "high-severity vulnerabilities", the report notes. The company advises users to regularly their anti-malware software, as well as the OS, as well as to make sure that their firewall is turned on at all times.

In addition, PC users should try to be more cautious when opening email attachments or clicking on links, even though it may seem that such content comes from a trusted source.

The complete Microsoft Security Intelligence Report is available here for download.